Welcome back to our podcasts series! It’s been a while since we last made one of these, and with all the commotion going around, we felt that it might be time to make another post on the latest podcast. Today’s podcast theme is accounting. Without further ado, let’s dive into the best three accounting podcasts of 2020.
The Abacus show is a podcast centered around accounting careers and job searches. This podcast is excellent for first-time accountants looking to get into the industry. The Abacus show also features top thought leaders, teachers, and accounting professionals. They share their experience to help you become a top performer.
The episode we recommend for first-time listeners is: “5 simple tricks to find accounting jobs faster.”
“5 simple tricks to find accounting jobs faster.”
In this episode, learn the five simple things you can do today to speed up your job search. While listening to the episode, Hannah Morgan, a job search strategist, mentions some notable advice. Bob the CPA and host of the Abacus show preface with a question:
Bob the CPA: “What would you say is the fastest way to get your job search going?”
Hannah Morgan: “People don’t like hearing this, because their natural inclination is to jump right on the job boards. I have to say that the first thing that people need to do before they embark on a job search is really be clear about what their strengths are, what their weaknesses are, and really begin to pinpoint what they are best suited, and what they want to do.’
Some ideas and questions to consider while listening to this episode are:
- How to think about your skills and what type of job you want.
- How to identify “Target Companies” in your area.
- When should you ask for help in your job search?
- Why have sires like LinkedIn become so important?
- Coaching Note: a new way to think about goals.
You can find the Abacus show on iTunes, Stitcher, or at their website. Onwards to the next accounting podcast.
The Accounting Best Practices podcast covers essential information on a broad range of business subjects, including accounting technology, controls, closing the books, financing, payroll, and much more. Most episodes are just 7 to 10 minutes long and are jam-packed with information. You can find their podcast on their website, Spotify, iTunes, or Google Play.
The episode we suggest for first-timers is: “Episode #286: Accounting for Investments.”
Episode #286: Accounting for Investments
In this podcast episode, some key points made by Steve Bragg, host of ABP (accounting best practices), are:
- Discuss how and when you account for investments, buy security, brokerage fees, and service fees.
- Discussing trading securities- when a business may have debt securities are acquired with the intent of selling them in the short term for a profit.
- Discussing held-to-maturity investment and available-for-sale.
As mentioned before, each episode is jam-packed with information. This podcast is perfect for accountants and those interested in accounting—moving on to the next podcast.
Accounting Today talks with thought leaders and changemakers from across the public accounting profession. This podcast is an excellent podcast for those already in the accounting industry who want to hear the latest accounting news. Think of this podcast as a newsroom that centers on accounting. You can find this podcast on their website, iTunes, Google Play, and Spotify.
A great episode to listen to for first-time listeners is: “The impact of Coronavirus on firm valuations.”
The impact on Coronavirus on firm valuations
This episode focuses on the Mergers and Acquisitions landscape and what the future will look like with the pandemic. Some key points mentioned in the episode are:
- CPA firms and their interest in mergers and acquisitions due to the loss of clients from the pandemic
- When can we expect to meet face-to-face with clients?
- The difficulty of conducting business through meeting platforms, such as Zoom
- The future of CPA firms and the virus impact- depending on the effects of the virus, there will be a boom in M&A
- 2021 to be the busiest year for M&A
AirSend helps accountants by providing a versatile digital workspace to share files, send messages, and complete tasks. See how AirSend can help you.